Sunday, September 19, 2010

Scrappy fun

Scrappy Pincushion 2 Swap

Here are pictures of the finished pincushion I made for my secret partner on flickr's Scrappy Pincushion Swap 2! I had a feeling I would incorporate embroidery into this project since it's a simple way to add color and whimsy without it getting too complicated for me.

Scrappy Pincushion 2 Swap

I decided to do some paperpiecing for this and I saw a post of a potholder that someone did on quiltblogs so I decided to do a scaled down version. I paired a Michael Miller green gingham with Tula Pink's Neptune and I think it blended well! I'm so happy with the results. I hope my partner likes it. It should be arriving soon as I shipped it earlier this week :)

After finishing that, I decided to get the binding finished on these two quilts since that's all that is left to do. I chose a small dotted chocolate brown fabric that went nicely with both tops. I am so in love with Saffron Craig's fabric... this is fabric from a bundle that I won from Fat Quarterly in May. I paired the pink version with an Amy Butter print to help highlight the pink and bit and I paired the blue version with a Michael Miller print which added some texture. My sister has already told me these belong to her... does she have kids yet? Nope! Hopefully this will help that along :) The rest of my Saffron Craig fabric will be rationed in several more special projects in the future!

Baby Blankets finished!

I also decided to sew the binding on my Dick and Jane quilt which was in my UFO pile for four months. I think it turned out super cute!

Dick and Jane Quilt
Dick and Jane Quilt

My Fat Quarterly Quilt Along Progress is shown below. I finished piecing the blocks together. I wasn't too sure about the color next to color, I was thinking about adding white strips in between but after taking this picture I'm falling in love with it more and more!

Fat quarterly quilt a long progress

This is where I am still at today, still squaring my blocks for the next step... I have Sunday to finish so I'm still working with the group timeline.
FQ Quilt along progress

Quickly I decided to cross something of my sister Kauri's wish list. This year the high school students at her school have to wear their id's at all times so everyone is wearing lanyards. She was hoping for something a little cuter than what was given so I used some canvas and Tula Pink Neptune to make her wish come true. I hope she likes them! Literally it took 20 minutes to make both.
Lanyards finished!

I had to take a break from sewing and do a little scrapbooking yesterday. I gave my father in law a scrapbook for his birthday a couple years ago and every chance I get I add pages from family trips and gatherings. Here is a little sampling of the pages I finished.

Playtime!

My little son enjoying his scrapbook!

Scrapbook fun

No comments: